Friday, February 7, 2014

Jon Batiste: the best musical experience of my life

Okay.

An amazing thing took place today.

Jon Batiste and his jazz band Stay Human visited our school to kinda hang out and be musical with us band/orchestra kids. It was optional wether or not we went, and for a while, I considered not going. Let me tell you something honey; had I not gone, my life would not be the same.

 They had a few kids up on the stage with them; two drummers, a sax, a bass, and a piano. I was that piano.

It was amazing.

For an hour and a half, we all played and improvised and soon every kid was up with their instrument and we were all playing and I am so happy oh my god. I swear I've been having a musical orgasm for five and a half hours straight.

This is Jon:
 (and Stay Human, they're all awesome too)

First of all, Jon Batiste is the most awesome person I've ever met. He's freaking adorable. I don't mean that in a romantic way, I mean it in that his smile and positive attitude are both contagious. He's like if Jesus and Jimi Hendrix had a baby. 

He's also ridiculously talented. He can ear play like me and he can play any genre and he's just awesome. He's the kind of person who supports everyone with anything they do, no matter the skill level. In fact, the entire band was just super cool and welcoming. 

Again; a Jesus and Jimi Hendrix love child. He's my new favorite person, and it was an honor to be with him.

Also, after playing piano with everyone, I was approached by my awesome band teacher. I was then asked by him to be in jazz band, so that was amazingly exciting, because you aren't usually requested to join jazz band.  THEN, I was approached by the ORCHESTRA teacher, who asked be to be the pianist for the orchestra. After telling him that I was planning on doing both wind ensemble and jazz band, he told me that it was ok, and that I could just jump in during any orchestra rehearsal when I have time and start playing piano with the orchestra. Do you know how much that means to me? TODAY HAS BEEN A GOOD DAY.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the fact that Mr. Baptiste is amazing; I cannot wait to watch him perform tomorrow! As a band student myself at my old school, I understand the feeling of playing in Jazz Band. I will never forget the experience. I just let my goals get the best of me and I went to achieve them.

    ReplyDelete