Saturday, October 26, 2013

The stages of writing the best song ever

As I have mentioned before, I write my own music. Sometimes, it comes very easily to me. I don't even need to think! It's as if the magical song-writing fairy just crawled through my ear canal and into my brain and bestowed upon me the very essence of her being.

Then there are times where I kinda know something's there. It's as if the magical song-writing fairy crawled halfway through my ear, spit into my skull just barely missing my brain, and crawled back out. Then I'm forced to write it without the help of some genius fairy creature.

That's what I will be telling you about today. The stages of writing a song, with a little mental block.

REALIZATION 
YOU HAVE AN IDEA! You don't quite know what it is yet or how it'll turn out, but it's an idea, and you shall love and nurture your idea-baby until it is a full grown actual thing.

ACTION
You sit down. It'll come to you. Don't worry about it. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST SONG EVER.

SYSTEM ERROR



You can't think of anything. Why can't you think of anything? You are stupid. You are dirt. You need motivation. 
You need a snack....

PROCRASTINATION



You convince yourself that you are being productive. Yes, this third bag of cheetos will help me think. Of course contemplating the science of how slugs move will help me write a song! 
You are a slave to your own urges. You know you have to finish that damn song, but you really know that watching one more season of Friends on Netflix will get your creative juices flowing.

GUILT
The inevitable feelings of WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH YOUR LIFE begin to occur. The anxiety hits you right in the gut, along with all the processed food you just ate. YOU MUST START WRITING NOW OR YOU WILL NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL AND NOBODY WILL EVER LOVE YOU.
EVER.

DO EVERYTHING


And suddenly, within two hours, you have a complete song that you are happy with.
It was that easy?
Are you frigging kidding me?
You are slightly angry at the fact that you found it so hard to write a few verses, but you are also relieved, as this means that you accomplished what you intended to accomplish and now you can eat and sleep without that lingering feeling that you have to finish that damn song.


So I know I made this post rather humorous, but seriously, this a predicament I face at least on a weekly basis. What I didn't include was actually my go-to help mechanism for when I used to have severe mental block and when I was too young to deal with my problems by myself and with my incredibly non-musical family. My old piano teacher, who got me started in piano competitions and supported me in my decision to begin with my own music when I was 12, Genevieve Brings. Sadly, I had to stop being her student when I moved from Connecticut to Utah. Although I've basically been teaching myself everything since I was 6, Genevieve helped me get to where I am now. Thanks, Mrs. Brings!

By the way, I drew all those pictures. I am a Paint master.


No comments:

Post a Comment