Tuesday, November 5, 2013

MIGRAINE

So I've been having chronic migraines since I was a really little kid. For anyone that's never had a migraine:
It's as if there's a little medieval executioner guy inside your head who has one of those weird spiky-ball-on-a-chain-on-a-stick weapons, and he's trying desperately to explode from inside your skull with this weapon, and his fists, and possibly his knees. Multiply this pain by 20. Then, there's also a morbidly obese child sitting directly on your eyeballs. Multiply that pain by 20 also. And that's while you're lying motionless in the dark. When somebody turns on a light, it quite literally feels like your head and eyeballs are exploding. Then, when there is even the slightest amount of noise, such as the sound of you shifting your position slightly, it's as if you are exploding and somebody is screaming obnoxiously in your ear, therefor shattering your eardrums entirely. Sometimes, migraines make you throw up. All this horrific pain, plus nausea, is what I'm damn sure it feels like to be buttfucked by Satan. And, while you're barfing violently, it's hard to even concentrate on the puking because of all the rest of the pain you're in, so I have to say, nausea is not even the worst part.
What I'm trying to get at is that migraines cause some of the worst physical pain ever.

Anyway.

Last night, I had a particularly painful migraine, like the description above, except it felt like I was in the middle of a death metal concert/light show. Funny, because I was in complete silence and darkness.
You would think after years and years of getting migraines, one would be able to cope with the pain, right?
Wrong.
I very truly thought I was going to die.

I just remember being in so much pain, I couldn't get up from my bed to walk the three steps to my medicine cabinet for my painkillers. I was shaking ferociously. I somehow managed to vomit behind my bed several times without even remembering it. At a certain point in the night, a miracle occurred and I was able to pathetically roll out of bed, put on two pairs of sweatpants, mega fuzzy eskimo socks, a t-shirt, two sweatshirts, and a jacket. I then fetched a down blanket from my closet and flopped back into bed, and I was still shivering like a hairless cat in the middle of an ice age. Now that I look back, I realize that in my delirious nightmare-state, I failed to notice that I wasn't shaking from the cold; I was shaking because I had a violent fever and my cells were like WHAT. THE. FUCK.  OHMIGOD, WE'RE GONNA DIE. QUICKLY, DEPLOY SHAKING! ANCIENT SURVIVAL METHODS, FUCK YEAH! SHAKE IT LIKE A STRIPPER IN A ROOM FULL OF RICH HORNY OLD MEN!

I was not having fun at all. I didn't sleep for a second. When my mom came into my room at 6 to wake me up like she does every morning, I was sitting cross legged on my bed with my head between my legs, and I was very much awake. I didn't end up going to school. At 8 AM, I finally passed out, and I woke up at noon. It's been 24 hours since my migraine began, and although I am now in control of my muscles and brain, my entire body still hurts, despite the abundance of painkillers swimming around in my bloodstream. I still might die. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. You have perfectly summarized a migraine. It's like having your head filled with bleach and caustic acid, then frozen, then beaten repeatedly with a white hot mallet while being stabbed in the eyes with a white hot drill.
    Thank you for making me able to laugh at this pain.
    But, seriously, don't laugh when someone has a migraine. That shit ain't funny.

    ReplyDelete